Friday 10 September 2010

gauk

During our sojourn in Cumbrae there much debate about the exact meaning of a certain Scots word. You will remember that a young man from Catrine used this word in reference to me during a heated conversation. I somehow didn't get the impression he was paying me a compliment. But I wasn't quite sure. Now I am. I dusted down my copy of The Scots Dialect and found the following:

gauk: a fool, a lout
gauk: (v) to behave foolishly (used of young women in relation to men)
gaukie: gawky: a foolish person
gawk: (v) to stare vacantly or idily
gowk: cuckoo or blockhead

Paul, you were right about cuckoo.

Where is Jimmy when you need him????

R

1 comment:

Paul said...

Huntigowk Day (April 1)

Dinna laugh, an' dinna smile
But hunt the gowk another mile.


Another variant of gowk/gawk - to stare stupidly or vacantly - is 'gove'

No comment is necessary.